Middle School Service Program
Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.'
What can you do to help a community/organization/individual near you? This is the question we are asking Sacred Heart middle students. For service hours this year, we are commissioning SHS middle students to think outside the box and use their God-given talents to reach beyond the normal ways of service.
Students will be expected to complete the following:
- 6th Grade - 2 hours per trimester
- 7th Grade - 4 hours per trimester
- 8th Grade - 6 hours per trimester
St. Margaret Mary Awards
Students who go above and beyond each trimester have the opportunity to receive the Sister Mary Margaret Award.
- 6th Grade - Over 5 hours per trimester
- 7th Grade - Over 10 hours per trimester
- 8th Grade - Over 10 hours per trimester
- Each trimester's specific requirements need to be fulfilled by a specific date.
- An authorized signature for the project/hours should be from the adult mentor/supervisor of the project (not your parent/guardian).
- “Service” is activity completed outside of the school day.
- Students are encouraged to be involved in Sunday liturgical ministry roles (servers, lectors, greeters, ushers, Eucharistic ministers, music ministers, etc.)
- Families are important. Assisting with one’s family is a responsibility that comes from being a part of your family. It shows the love, devotion, and care that you have for your family. Helping an uncle, cousin, grandparent, etc. with things like mowing or painting is important and encouraged, but it is not a "service project". The same is true with babysitting a sibling’s children, etc. We encourage you to keep helping your family and doing your chores in addition to your school service project.
- The possibilities are endless. If a student (parent) is unsure of what activities might be appropriate or have questions regarding service hours, please contact Mrs. Riehl.
- Students are expected to complete all information requested on their Service Hour Log sheet.